Abhishek Banerjee is an Indian politician and social worker. He was elected to the 16th Lok Sabha in 2014 from Diamond Harbour constituency. He is the nephew of Mamata Banerjee, the Chief Minister of West Bengal.
Abhishek Banerjee was born in a Brahmin family on 8 November 1987 (Age: 31 years old, as in 2018) in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. He received his primary education from Nava Nalanda High School, Kolkata and M. P. Birla Foundation Higher Secondary School, Kolkata, West Bengal, India. For his higher education, he enrolled at Indian Institute of Planning and Management, New Delhi and received his B.B.A and M.B.A. in Human Resource and Marketing.
He was born to Amit Banerjee and Lata Banerjee. Mamata Banerjee and Gayatri Devi are his aunt. Ajit Banerjee, Kali Banerjee, Baben Banerjee, Ganesh Banerjee, Samir Banerjee are his uncles.
He married Rujira Banerjee on 24 February 2012. The couple has one daughter; her name is not known.
In 2011, he became the National President of All India Trinamool Youth Congress. Abhishek Banerjee fought the 2014 General Election from Diamond Harbour constituency on a ticket of All India Trinamool Congress and defeated Dr. Abul Hasnat of CPI. The same year, Abhishek was made a member of the Standing Committee on Commerce, the Consultative Committee, and the Ministry of Finance and Corporate Affairs. In 2015, he became a member of the Railway Convention Committee (R.C.C.).
- In 2015, he stirred controversy in a public rally. Abhishek said that the government led by his aunt Mamata Banerjee killed Koteswar Rao alias Kishenji, the leader of Communist Party of India (Maoist). He said, “During the four-years rule (of the Mamata Banerjee), only one person has died (in Jangalmahal). By killing him the Mamata Banerjee government has proved that people will have the last word.”
- The same year, he publicly threatened, “Those who dare to glare at us, we can gouge their eyes out and throw them on the road. Show us your hands and we can cut them off.”
- In 2019, his wife was captured by customs authorities with the 2 kg of gold at Kolkata Airport. Abhishek termed the report baseless and politically motivated.
- Sports: Cricket, Soccer, Snooker
As a Member of Parliament, he receives ₹100,000 + other constituency allowances.
As in 2014, his net worth is more than ₹1 crore.
- His hobbies are reading biographies of International Achievers, listening to old Hindi songs.
- Abhishek is called the cub of 16th Lok Sabha as he is the youngest M.P. of the house.
- In October 2016, he was returning from a rally when his car rammed into another vehicle and overturned. He got seriously injured and was hospitalized.
- In August 2018, during the session of the Lok Sabha, he suffered embarrassment after he fumbled while asking a question.