Bhumi Pednekar is an Indian actress. She came into the spotlight by playing an overweight bride in “Dum Laga Ke Haisha.”
Bhumi Pednekar was born on 18 July 1989 (age 29 years; as in 2018) in Mumbai. She attended Mumbai’s Arya Vidya Mandir School and went to Communication & Media Arts, Mumbai to complete her graduation. However, Pednekar was expelled from the institute due to poor attendance. Next, she got herself enrolled in the University of Mumbai to pursue a Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.). Bhumi wanted to be an actor since she was 12-year-old. At the age of 18, she came to know about the vacancy at Yash Raj Films. Delighted by the idea of being around the cinema, she applied for the post. Initially, she was rejected for the post, but, after a month, Bhumi was called to join as an assistant casting director at Yash Raj Films. Bhumi served as the assistant casting director for six years before venturing into acting.
Pednekar also attended Whistling Woods International Institute of Film to learn acting.
Height: 5′ 4″
Weight: 60 Kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Brown
Figure Measurements: 34-28-36
Family & Caste
Bhumi belongs to a Hindu Family. She was born to Late Satish Pednekar (a Maharashtrian) and Sumitra Pednekar (a Haryanvi). Bhumi has a twin sister, Samiksha Pednekar, who is a lawyer.
Bhumi made her acting debut in 2015 with the romantic comedy “Dum Laga Ke Haisha.” She played the role of Sandhya Verma, an obese girl, and her performance in the film was critically acclaimed. In the same year, she featured in the web series “Man’s World.”
In 2017, She starred in Shree Narayan Singh’s “Toilet: Ek Prem Katha.” The film was a commercial success.
Next, she appeared in the comedy-drama “Shubh Mangal Savdhan,” opposite Ayushmann Khurrana.
Bhumi has also featured in the Netflix film “Lust Stories” in which she played a maid who had an affair with her employer.
- Filmfare Award for Best Female Debut for the film Dum Laga Ke Haisha (2016)
- Stardust Award for Superstar of Tomorrow- Female (2016)
- Dadasaheb Phalke Film Foundation Award for Best Actress for the film Toilet: Ek Prem Katha (2018)
- Lokmat Most Stylish Award for Most Stylish Rising Star (2018)
- Food: Missi Roti, Butter Chicken, Dal Makhni, Pizza, Bharta
- Football Player: Lionel Messi
- Travel Destination: Ibiza
- Her hobbies include reading and practising yoga.
- Bhumi loves eating chocolates.
- Pednekar has watched Kamaal Rashid Khan’s Deshdrohi around 100 times.
- When Bhumi was asked to give a demo audition for “Dum Laga Ke Haisha,” she had no clue that she was being auditioned for the lead role in the film; Pednekar just thought that it was a demo for other actors to be tested for the role. Later, she went on to give 100 auditions to bag the role.
- Pednekar gained 25 kg of weight for her role in the film Dum Laga Ke Haisha. She subsequently lost 27 kg of weight after the film was released.
- Her Facebook and Twitter bio reads- “aim to be a future leader…”
- Bhumi told during an interview that it was Ayushmann Khurrana himself who picked her up in the race in the last sequence of the film Dum Laga Ke Haisha. Although the body double was called for the shot, he could not pick her up.