Jasjit Singh Gill, popularly known as Jimmy Sheirgill, is an Indian actor and film producer who mostly works in the Hindi and Punjabi film industries. He rose to fame after playing the role of ‘Karan Chaudhry’ in Bollywood film, “Mohabbatein.”
Jimmy Sheirgill was born on Thursday, 3 December 1970 (age 49 years; as in 2019) in Deokahia village, Sardarnagar, Gorakhpur District, Uttar Pradesh. His zodiac sign is Sagittarius. Jimmy hails from a family of aristocratic land owners of Punjab. Shergill did his schooling from Lucknow’s St. Paul’s college, Nabha’s The Punjab Public School, and Patiala’s Yadavindra Public School. While in school, Jimmy wanted to join the Armed Forces. He attended Bikram College, Punjabi University to pursue B.Com. Thereafter, Jimmy enrolled himself in Post Graduate Government College – 11, Chandigarh, Panjab University to complete his post graduation. While Sheirgill was in college, his cousin, Suminder convinced him to try his luck in films. After completing his post graduation, Jimmy moved to Mumbai to become an actor. He attended Mumbai’s Roshan Taneja’s acting classes to learn acting. In 1994, when Gulzar was directing “Maachis,” Jimmy went to him to ask for a chance to assist him. At that time, Gulzar offered him a small role in the film.
Height (approx.): 5’ 8”
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Jimmy Sheirgill belongs to a Sikh Jat Family.
Parents & Siblings
Jimmy Sheirgill is the son of Satyajeet Singh Shergill and Late Balraj Kaur Shergill. He has a brother, Aman Shergill.
Wife & Children
Jimmy got married to his longtime girlfriend, Priyanka Puri in 2001. The couple has a son, Veer Shergill.
Jimmy Sheirgill started his acting career in 1996 with the political thriller, “Maachis.” He played the role of ‘Jaimal’ in the film. He came into the spotlight after playing the role of ‘Karan Choudhry’ in the film, “Mohabbatein.”
Subsequently, he appeared in films like “Yeh Zindagi Ka Safar,” “Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai,” “Dil Vil Pyar Vyar,” “Munna Bhai M.B.B.S.,” “Hum Tum,” and “Silsiilay.”
Jimmy made his Punjabi film debut in 2005 with the film, “Yaaran Naal Baharan” in which he played the role of ‘Navdeep Singh Brar.’
Thereafter, he featured in Punjabi films like “Mannat,” “Tera Mera Ki Rishta,” “Munde U.K. De,” “Mel Karade Rabba,” “Dharti,” “Jindua,” and “Daana Paani.”
Some of his popular Bollywood films include “Tom Dick and Harry,” “A Wednesday!,” “My Name Is Khan,” “Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster,” “Tanu Weds Manu,” “Veerey Ki Wedding,” and “Judgementall Hai Kya.”
As a film producer, he has produced the films, “Dharti,” “Taur Mittran Di,” “Saadi Love Story,” and “Rangeelay.”
In 2020, Jimmy made his digital media debut with ZEE5’s web series, “Rangbaaz Phirse.”
- Best Actor Award at 11th Norway Bollywood Film Festival in Oslo for Saheb, Biwi Aur Gangster Returns (2013)
- PTC Best Actor Award for Mel Karade Rabba (2010)
- PTC Best Film (Critics) Award for Dharti
Jimmy Sheirgill owns a Range Rover.
He also owns a Harley Davidson.
Salary & Net Worth
Jimmy Sheirgill’s net worth is estimated to be Rs. 68 crore. He gets paid Rs. 1-2 crore for a film.
- Food: Sarson ka Saag with Makki ki Roti
- Film: American History X (1998)
- Quote: “Let’s go our separate ways, together”
- His hobbies include reading and playing & watching cricket.
- Jimmy follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- Sheirgill is often spotted drinking alcohol on various occasions.
- Jimmy wore a turban till he was 18 years old. However, later he removed it as it was difficult for him to manage it in the hostel days. After seeing him become a cut surd, his family was so disappointed with him that they didn’t talk to Jimmy for around a year.
- In 1989, Jimmy survived a major bike accident. Few of his bones got fractured in the accident.
- Jimmy is not so active on social media.
- Sheirgill considers Bhagat Singh his idol.
- Jimmy changed the spellings of his surname from “Shergill” to “Sheirgill;” because by the time Jimmy tried making his accounts on social media, his name was already used.
- Apparently, Jimmy is a very emotional person and get tears in his eyes on petty things.
- Jimmy loves to do shopping.
- Jimmy is an ardent follower of Lord Ganesha.