Nikhil Kumaraswamy, also known as Nikhil Gowda, is an Indian actor who mainly works in the Kannada and Telugu Film Industries. He is the son of former Karnataka Chief Minister, H. D. Kumaraswamy, and grandson of former Indian Prime Minister, H. D. Deve Gowda.
Nikhil Kumaraswamy was born on Monday, 22 January 1990 (age 30 years; as in 2020) in Bangalore. His zodiac sign is Aquarius. He did his schooling from Bangalore’s Carmel School and Clarence School. After completing his schooling, Nikhil got enrolled for a pre-university course but left the course midway. Later, he did a bachelor’s programme through correspondence. Nikhil was good at cricket in his childhood. He started receiving training in cricket from a very young age, and by the time he was 11 years old, he had started playing so well that he was asked to join the seniors at the nets.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Wife
Nikhil Kumaraswamy belongs to a Hindu family of Vokkaliga (Other Backward Class; OBC) caste. His father, H. D. Kumaraswamy is the former chief minister of Karnataka. His mother, Anitha Kumaraswamy is a politician and film producer.
His step-mother, Radhika Kumaraswamy is an actress and film producer. Nikhil has one step-sister, Shamika Kumaraswamy.
He is the grandson of the former Indian Prime Minister, H. D. Deve Gowda. His grandmother’s name is Chennamma.
On 20 May 2015, Nikhil Kumaraswamy got engaged KCN Mohan’s eldest daughter, Swathi M Gowda. However, they later called off their engagement due to misunderstandings.
Nikhil was also rumoured to be in a relationship with the Kannada actress, Rachita Ram.
Nikhil got engaged to Revathi (Ruthu), the grand-niece of former Karnataka Housing Minister, M Krishnappa, in a private ceremony in Bengaluru on 10 February 2020.
As an Actor
Nikhil started his career as an actor in 2016 with the Kannada-Telugu bilingual film “Jaguar” in which he played the role of ‘Krishna.’ The film earned him a SIIMA Award for Best Debutant Actor (Male) – Kannada.
Next, he appeared in the Kannada film “Seetharama Kalyana.”
In 2019, Nikhil played the role of ‘Abhimanyu’ in the Kannada film “Kurukshetra.”
As a Politician
Nikhil started his political career in 2019 by contesting the Lok Sabha elections from Mandya District as a JDS candidate. It was considered a safe bastion for the Congress-JDS alliance. However, he lost the elections from Sumanlatha Ambareesh by a margin of 128,725 votes. During the elections, Nikhil was trolled with the title, Nikhil Ellidiyappa. Soon after the results, two locations with the name “Nikhil Ellidiyappa” appeared on Google Maps, which were later removed by the authorities.
- In October 2006, Nikhil Kumaraswamy, along with two of his friends Rahul Mahajan and Manu Sharma, smashed beer bottles at Hotel Empire International at 3.30 am after he was denied a meal by the hotel staff who had shut down the hotel restaurant. Later, a complaint was filed by the hotelier saying unknown persons had ransacked his premises and assaulted his staff. Deve Gowda defended his grandson and tried to give the case a different spin each time. Eventually, the then Home Minister of Karnataka, M. P. Prakash, dismissed the incident as pardonable “juvenile delinquency” and indicated action against the hotel for staying open beyond permitted hours.
- In May 2019, a Kannada daily published an article stating that the intoxicated Nikhil created a ruckus at his grandfather’s place and blamed him for his failed political career. Later, an FIR was registered by the Bangalore Police against the editor of the Kannada daily for publishing a fictitious article.
House No. 286, 3rd Main Road, III Phase, JP Nagar, Bangalore-560078
Nikhil Kumaraswamy is very passionate about high-end-cars and owns a Lamborghini Gallardo LP550-2, Infiniti, Range Rover, and a Hummer.
Net Worth & Assets
Net Worth (approx.): Rs. 74 crores (as in 2019)
Movable Assets (approx.): Rs. 17.53 crore
Immovable Assets (approx.): Rs. 56.47 crore (including two houses and commercial property)
- Travel Destination: Paris
- His hobbies include travelling and hanging out with friends.
- Nikhil is often spotted drinking alcohol on various occasions.
- He is a fitness enthusiast and owns a private gym.
- Despite growing up in a family with a political background, Nikhil was always drawn towards the entertainment industry.
- When asked about his passion for cinema, Nikhil said,
My father has a long association with the Kannada film industry in the capacity of producer and distributor and is very passionate about cinema. He always wanted me to get into films as a hero.”