Raja Kumari is an Indo-American Singer, Songwriter, Rapper, and Recording Artist who fuses classical Indian music with hip-hop music. She is best known for her collaboration with artists like Gwen Stefani, Iggy Azalea, Knife Party, Fifth Harmony, and Fall Out Boy. She has been the recipient of BMI Pop Award in the year 2016 as a songwriter. Let’s check out some interesting facts about her.
Svetha Rao, professionally known as Raja Kumari, was born on 11 January 1986 (age 31 years; as in 2018) in Los Angeles, California, United States. She holds a Bachelors of Arts degree in religious studies. Kumari is an Indian classical dancer who started dancing at the age of 7; she performed at a concert where Pandit Ravi Shankar was the chief guest. She discovered hip-hop through the Fugees’ album, The Score, while she was in her fifth grade. By the age of 14, she was an established freestyle MC.
During her career, Kumari contributed to various humanitarian activities including creation of a hospital in Banglore, a school for physically disabled children, and a meditation hall in South India. As a result, she was recognized as a benefactor by the Foundation for Indic Philosophy and Culture (Indic Foundation). She has also been honoured with the Kohinoor Award for excellence in the Classical Arts by the Governor of Tamil Nadu.
The black-eyed actress is around 5’ 8” tall and weighs 70 kg. She has black hair.
Kumari started her career as a songwriter in 2013. She has co-written, performed background vocals and featured in many songs including Fall Out Boy’s Centuries, Don’t You Run, Brave Enough by Lindsey Stirling, and Change Your Life feat. T.I. She has also contributed to various albums by Gwen Stefani and Fifth Harmony. In addition, she has a recording contract with Epic Records through L.A. Reid.
In 2018, she co-wrote and featured in the song, “The Roots,” in collaboration with Divine.
On 16 November 2018, she released her first single titled “Shook.”
In December 2018, Kumari rapped for the Bollywood song, “Husn Parcham,” composed by Ajay-Atul.
- Kumari’s hobbies are dancing and playing musical instruments.
- She is profoundly inspired by Shakira, A.R. Rahman, and Taylor Swift.
- Her favourite colours are Red, Black, and Golden.
- In February 2015, Kumari was nominated for a Grammy award for her album “The New Classic“.
- Raja Kumari is a role model for a number of Asian-Americans.
- Kumari worked for a charity event and raised $80,000 in a night through her dance performances.
- The Indian Princess terms her music as “BollyHood”.
- She is an avid animal lover and had a pet dog named Rambo.