Rajkummar Rao is an Indian actor. He made his debut with Dibakar Banerjee’s movie “Love Sex Aur Dhokha” (LSD) in 2010.
Rajkummar Rao was born on 31 August 1984 (age 34; as in 2018) in Gurgaon, Haryana, India. His birth name is Raj Kumar Yadav. He enrolled in Siddheshwar Mandir School, and, later, completed his education from Blue Bells Model School, Gurgaon. As a kid, he got training in martial arts. He graduated in Arts from Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Delhi University, New Delhi. When he was in college, he actively participated in stage shows and also did theatre at “Shri Ram Centre for Performing Arts” and “Kshitij Repertory” in Delhi. In 2008, he completed his acting course from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
Height: 5’ 9”
Body Measurements: 40′ chest, 34′ waist, and 14′ biceps
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Girlfriend & Caste
Rajkummar Rao was born into a Hindu Family. His father was a government employee in the revenue department. His mother is late Kamlesh Yadav. Rajkummar grew up in a middle-class joint family. He was very close to his mother. He lost his mother while he was shooting for his movie Newton. He is also a national level gold medalist in Taekwondo. He has a brother, Amit and a sister, Monika.
Rajkummar Rao has been reportedly dating the actress, Patralekha Mishra Paul. He first met Patralekha during the shoot of his movie Citylights, in which the duo co-starred.
After graduating from Film and Television Institute of India, Rajkummar shifted to Mumbai to focus on his acting career. For around a year, he made frequent visits to various production houses and also met casting directors. He came across an ad by the casting director “Dibakar Banerjee” who was searching for fresh faces, and, consequently, made his debut with the movie Love Sex Aur Dhokha (LSD) in 2010. He was paid a remuneration of ₹11,000 for his movie LSD. He, then, appeared in a short role as a freedom fighter, Lokenath Bal, in the 2012 movie, Chittagong. He was also seen in movies like Ragini MMS (2011), Gangs of Wasseypur (2012), and Talaash (2012).
Rajkummar Rao got his big break with Hansal Mehta’s movie “Shahid” in 2012. He appeared in a brief role as Govind Patel in the Abhishek Kapoor’s movie ‘Kai Po Che’ (2013), which also starred Sushant Singh Rajput and Amit Sadh. The movie was a commercial success and Rajkummar’s performance was greatly acclaimed.
In 2014, Rajkummar starred in the successful drama movies, Queen, starring Kangana Ranaut, and Citylights, starring Patralekha. He portrayed as a journalist in the critically acclaimed biographical drama Aligarh, starring Manoj Bajpai. His role as Newton Kumar in the 2017 movie Newton won him many accolades and was strongly praised. He also appeared in movies like Trapped (2016), Bareilly Ki Barfi (2017), and Stree (2018).
In 2017, Rajkummar played the role of Subhas Chandra Bose in the Ekta Kapoor’s web series “Bose: Dead/Alive.” The same year, he appeared in a biographical crime movie ‘Omerta,‘ playing the role of Omar Saeed.
In 2019, he played the lead in Shelly Chopra’s movie ‘Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga,’ also starring Anil Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor, and Juhi Chawla.
Awards & Achievements
- Best Actor (Critics) – Filmfare Awards – Shahid in 2014
- Best Actor – National Film Awards, India – Shahid in 2014
- Breakthrough Talent of the Year – GQ Awards, India – 2014
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Zee Cine Awards – Kai Po Che! in 2014
- Best Performance by an Actor – Asia Pacific Screen Awards – Newton in 2017
- Best Actor (Special Mention) – Indian Film Festival Of Melbourne – Trapped in 2017
— Rajkummar Rao (@RajkummarRao) August 12, 2017
- Indian of the Year (Entertainment Category) – CNN-IBN Indian of the Year – 2017
- Variety Asian Stars: Up Next Award – International Film Festival & Awards Macao – 2017
- Hottest Vegetarian – PETA’s Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity – 2017
- The 50 Most Influential Young Indians Award – GQ Power List – 2017
- Best Actor (Critics) – Filmfare Awards – Trapped in 2018
- Best Actor (Critics) – Screen Awards, IN – Newton in 2018
- Best Actor – Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Awards – Newton in 2018
- Best Actor in a Leading Role – FOI Online Awards, India – Newton in 2018
- Best Supporting Actor – Filmfare Awards – Bareilly Ki Barfi in 2018
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role – FOI Online Awards, India – Bareilly Ki Barfi in 2018
- Extraordinary Impact Actor – Zee Cine Awards – 2018
- Best Actor – Screen Awards, IN – Stree in 2018
- Best Actor in a web series – IMW Digital Awards – Bose in 2018
- Best Actor Award – Talentrack Awards – Bose in 2018
Thank you #Talentrackawards2018 for honouring me with the best actor award for Bose. Thank you team #Bose @ektaravikapoor @mehtahansal sir @Patralekhaa9 @filmypulkit14 @nouwwwin & everyone who made it possible. pic.twitter.com/yJ1CorBV1h
— Rajkummar Rao (@RajkummarRao) March 17, 2018
- Man Of The Moment Award – Vogue Beauty Awards – 2018
- Best Actor (Popular Choice) Award – Hello Hall Of Fame Awards 2018
- Actresses: Madhubala and Konkona Sen Sharma
- Books: Biography of Robert De Niro, The Bhagavad Gita, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, The Godfather by Mario Puzo, My Autography by Charlie Chaplin, and Wild Seed by Octavia Butler
- Destinations: Volendam in Amsterdam
- Movies: The Godfather, Mohabbatein, and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
- Mobile Application: Facetime
- Hobbies: Travelling, watching movies and web series
- Dialogue: “Bade bade shehron mein aisi choti choti baatein hoti rehti hai.”
- Rajkummar Rao is very close to Ekta Kapoor, Dinesh Vijan (producer), and Hansal Mehta (director).
- He is quite fond of travelling and considers it a stress-buster.
- Rao also likes to go out for shopping.
- Rajkummar has put a wallpaper of his mother’s picture on his phone. He considers his mother his hero.
- He has a habit of making his own bed and is a cleanliness freak.
- Rao saw Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge for the first time when he was 11-year-old. He used to imagine himself as “Raj Malhotra,” which was the name of Shah Rukh Khan’s character in the movie. He would even ask his friends to call him “Raj,” and said- ‘What is this Rajkumar? Call me Raj!’
- When he was a child, every time he watched a movie, he would mimic the lead character of the movie.
- He is an avid reader. Rao likes reading books whenever he is travelling, in his vanity van, or balcony while having coffee.
- For his role as Subhash Chandra Bose, he gained nearly 11 kg.
- His first crush was Madhubala.
- He says that he would like to be born as Marlon Brando in his next birth.
- In the initial years of his career, he had to struggle a lot. In an interview, while remembering those days, he said,
It used to be tough times for me. I come from a very humble middle class background and there was a time in school when I didn’t have money and my teachers paid my school fees for two years. When I came to the city, we were living in a really small house. I was paying Rs 7000 of my share which I thought was too much. I needed around 15-20000 every month to survive and there were times I would get a notification that I have only 18 rupees left in my account. My friend would have 23 rupees.”
- He is a bike lover and in October 2019, he bought a Harley Davidson Fat Bob.