Rakhi Sawant is a model, dancer and politician. She shot to fame with her item number opposite Govinda in Joru Ka Gulam. She has appeared in Hindi, Marathi, Kannada, Odia, Tamil, and Telugu films. Over the years, Rakhi has established herself, Drama Queen and Controversy Queen of the Industry.
Rakhi Sawant was born on 25 November 1978 (aged 40; as in 2018) as Neeru Bheda in Mumbai, Maharashtra. She did her schooling from Goklibai high school, Vile Parle, Mumbai and went to Mithibai College to pursue arts. She belonged to a conservative Hindu Family. Rakhi was always fascinated with the glamour world and wanted to work in films, but her parents were against her wishes to do so. At the age of 10, she worked as a caterer in Tina Ambani’s wedding. Later, when she was 11 years old, Sawant attended a Dandiya event. When her mother came to know that Rakhi danced at a Dandiya event, her mother not only beat her up but also chopped her hair off. Rakhi Sawant turned rebellious because her parents did not approve of her career choice. Soon after, she started approaching producers and showcased her talent of dancing to them, but got rejected. After facing a series of rejections, rakhi chose to undergo cosmetic surgery for enhancing her looks and appearance.
Having black eyes and black hair, the actress is around 5’ 3” tall and weighs around 60 kg.
Family, Caste & Boyfriends
Born into a Maharashtrian Family, Rakhi Sawant is the daughter of Anand Sawant, a senior Mumbai Policeman, and Jaya Bheda. Rakhi’s mother married twice and she was born out of her first husband. She was born into a Hindu family but later embraced Christianity.
She is the sister of film director Rakesh Sawant and actress Usha Sawant.
Rakhi was in a relationship with dancer Abhishek Awasthi for three years.
Rakhi announced on the national television that she was going to tie the knot with Elesh Parujanwala (winner of show Rakhi Ka Swayamvar) but only got engaged to him. Later, she broke the engagement saying she got engaged to him only for the sake of money and to buy a flat for herself.
Rakhi is expected to marry Deepak Kalal on 31 December 2018 in Los Angeles, USA.
Rakhi made her debut with movie Agnichakra (1997) under the screen name Ruhi Sawant. She then went on to perform small roles and dance numbers in Joru Ka Ghulam, Yeh Raaste Hain Pyaar Ke and Jis Desh Mein Ganga Rehta Hai. Rakhi made entry into item number songs with Bam Bhole Bam Bhole from the movie Yeh Raaste Hain Pyaar Ke.
In 2003, Rakhi auditioned for about four times before being shortlisted for her breakthrough item number Mohabbat Hai Mirchi. Sawant also appeared in small roles in films like Masti and Main Hoon Na. After setting her feet in Bollywood, Rakhi went on to take roles in Marathi, Kannada, Odia, Tamil and Telugu movies.
In the year 2006, she participated in the 1st season of the reality show Big Boss and remained among the top four finalists. During her stay in the Big Boss house, she got into an ugly battle with co-contestant Kashmeera Shah. Later, she actively took part in a few reality shows like Nach Baliye 3 and Yeh Hai Jalwa.
Rakhi also tried her hands in singing and launched her album Super Girl in 2007.
Sawant has appeared in some most successful music videos like Pardesi from the album D J Hot Remix – Vol 3, Kajra Nite Remix, and Jhagda.
In March 2014, she announced her plan to contest in the Lok Sabha elections of 2014 from a seat in Mumbai and formed a political party called Rashtriya Aam Party. However, she managed to collect only 15 votes. In the same year, she resigned from RAP and joined Maharashtrian leader Ramdas Athawale’s Republican Party of India.
Rakhi, with her hilarious dramas and outrageous statements, have always been a part of big controversies.
- In 2005, her lip-lock with co-star Kainaaz Pervez at the premiere of Khamoshh…Khauff Ki Raat created a huge controversy.
- Another incident happened when Mika Singh forcefully kissed her at his 35th birthday party. The actress then filed a molestation case against him.
- Rakhi again came into the news when she slapped her ex-boyfriend Abhishek Awasthi in public; when he tried to reconcile with her after calling her names.
- An SC youth, Lakshman Prasad, of Jhansi, died as he was embarrassed after being called an “impotent” on her show. An F.I.R was launched against her and 4 others in connection.
- A complaint was lodged against Rakhi Sawant after she made objectionable remarks against Valmiki on the national television in 2016. Her remarks hurt the sentiments of the Valmiki community.
- Rakhi grabbed headlines again when she wore a dress with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s picture imprinted on it in an objectionable way. The incident took place in 2016 when she was invited to Illinois, the USA to celebrate the 70th Independence Day of India.
- Rakhi Sawant landed herself into trouble by levelling false allegations against Tanushree Dutta and also calling her a drug addict and liar. During India’s #MeToo movement, when Tanushree accused Nana Patekar of sexual harassment, Sawant referred to Tanushree’s allegations as a publicity stunt. She even accused Dutta of raping her multiple times; for which Tanushree sued her for ₹10 crore. In turn, rakhi threatened her with a countersuit of ₹50 crore.
Rakhi owns movable assets worth ₹3.57 crore and immovable assets worth ₹11.12 crore.
Salary & Net Worth
Rakhi has a net worth of around ₹14 crore (as in 2014). She earns ₹10-12 lakhs (as in 2012) per month.
- Rakhi’s favourite song is “Main Tenu Samjhawan Ki”.
- She likes to wear Diamonds.
- Her favourite animal is Monkey.
- Rakhi’s favourite restaurant is Delicacy of China in Mumbai.
- Rakhi loves to travel and Switzerland is her favourite travel destination.
- Rakhi loves to munch on Non-Vegetarian food and Grilled Chicken and Salad are her favourite food.
- Rakhi drinks actively and likes to sip on Riviera wine, Tea, and Coconut water.
- Switzerland is her favourite travel destination.
- Rakhi owns a Ford Endeavour.
- She resides at B2/501, Serenity Complex, New Link Road, Oshiwara, Andheri (West), Mumbai.
- Rakhi Sawant has a heart-shaped tattoo on her right tricep.
- In December 2016, she faced a terrible accident during a show in Colombo. Due to excessive artificial fog, she tripped and hurt her head; to undergo an operation, she even had to shave her head.