Rupali Jagga is an Indian singer. She is popularly known as ‘The Shakira of India’ and ‘RJ.’
Rupali Jagga was born on Saturday, 15 July 1995 (age 24 years; as in 2019) in the Saharanpur city of Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Cancer.
She did her schooling from Asha Modern School, Saharanpur, Uttar Pradesh. She did her Honours in the English Language from Mehr Chand Mahajan DAV College in Chandigarh. In 2018, she enrolled for a master’s degree in Music at the University of Mumbai. At the age of six, she started to learn music. For six years, she trained under Nidhi Narang from Agra Gharana.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
She belongs to a Punjabi family. Her father’s name is Sudhir Jagga, and her mother’s name is Anju Jagga.
She has an elder brother.
In 2007, she contested the reality TV show, Bhajan Samrat, which aired on Sadhana TV; she excelled to top 6 contestants in the show. She won many state-level singing competitions. In 2011, she became the national winner of the singing competition by Sangam Kala Group.
In 2012, she contested the singing reality TV show, Indian Idol and was one of the theatre round finalists in the show.
In 2013, she won the ‘Young Manch Competition’ by Videocon; becoming the brand ambassador of Videocon for the northern region of India. In 2014, she became the national winner of Youth Festival in Light and Western Vocal. In 2015, she began her professional career as a singer and started to do shows in India and abroad, for the brands like Times of India, Videocon, Airtel, etc. In 2016, she became the finalist of the Zee TV’s singing reality show, Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, where she got the title of ‘The Shakira of India.’
In 2018, she contested the show “The Remix,” an Amazon Prime Video original series. The show was judged by Sunidhi Chauhan, Amit Trivedi, and Nucleya.
In 2017, she made her film debut as a singer with the Kannada film “Sarkari Kelasa Devara Kelasa,” with the song ‘Kannu Hodibedi.’
In 2019, she made her Bollywood debut with the short film “Cakewalk’ starring Esha Deol.
She also sang the song ‘Sab Jag Vase’ from the Punjabi film “Aasra” (2019); marking her Punjabi debut.
She has also given performances on stages in the US, UK, Canada, South Africa, Australia, Singapore, Dubai, etc.
- She likes singing, reading, and writing.
- Rupali is a dog lover and owns a pet dog.
- Rupali is also known as ‘Swar Kokila’ of Saharanpur.
- When she was six years old, she went to a temple with her mother. There, she got inspired by her mother singing a bhajan (devotional song) and sang a bhajan herself at the temple. Seeing her daughter sing, her mother suggested her father, letting their daughter learn music. At first, her father hesitated; as there was no one from music background in their family, but finally, he relented.
- Apart from singing, she is also a good dancer. In 2008, she even participated in the dance reality TV show, Chak De Bachche on 9X Channel.
- When she was in class 1, she contested from her state in the singing competition by Sangam Kala Group and came in the fourth place. Her father realized her passion for singing and made her participate in the same competition from different cities in India. In 2011, she won the competition from Delhi.
- Rupali does Riyaaz for two hours every morning. After Riyaaz, she does four to five dummy recordings for music directors like Pritam, Amit Trivedi, and Sajid-Wajid. Talking about her lifestyle in the City of Dreams, Rupali says,
I am enjoying every bit of it. Every day is a step closer to my dream of winning a Grammy! In fact, I want all budding singers to try for the show. It is a befitting platform to showcase your talent and has a history of building extraordinary career in the world of music.”
- Rupali considers Michael Jackson as her idol.