S. P. Charan is a popular Indian playback singer, actor, and producer. He has mainly worked in Tamil and Telugu films. He is the son of the late Indian playback singer S. P. Balasubrahmanyam.
S. P. Charan was born on Friday, 7 January 1972 (age 48 years; as in 2020), in Chennai. His zodiac sign is Capricorn. He did his schooling from Asan Memorial CBSE School, Chennai. He attended Pace University, USA to pursue his degree in BBA. Later, he did a two-year course in Film and Television.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Eye Colour: Brown
Hair Colour: Salt & Pepper
Family & Caste
He was born in a Telugu family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Late S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, was the legendary Indian singer and actor. His mother’s name is Savithri Balasubrahmanyam. His sister, Pallavi, is an Indian playback singer. His grandfather, S. P. Sambamurthy, was a popular Harikatha Artist. S. P. Charan’s grandmother’s name is Sakunthalamma.
Relationship, Husband & Children
In 1982, he got married to Smitha, but the couple got divorced in 2002. In 2012, he got married to Aparna.
He started his career as a singer in 1996, under the popular Indian composer Isaignani Ilaiyaraja. His debut film as a singer is ‘Kurralla Rajyam’ (1997). Some of his popular songs as a singer are “Love Paatalu” from “Daddy Daddy” (1998), “Bava Chandamamalu” from ‘Annayya’ (2000), “Priyathama” from ‘Nuvvu Nenu’ (2001), “Oka Thotalo Oka Kommalo” from ‘Gangotri’ (2003), and “Prathi Gaalilo Dhoni Yee” from ‘M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story’ (dubbed) (2016).
He debuted in the Tamil TV serial ‘Oonjal’ in 2001 as an actor. He has appeared in TV serials like ‘Annamalai’ (2002), ‘Nenjathai Killaadhe’ (2014), and ‘Super Singer Junior 6’ as judge (2018). He has acted in films of different languages, including Kannada, Tamil, and Telugu. In 2003, he debuted as an actor in the Tamil film ‘Unnai Charanadainthen’ in 2003. Some of his films as an actor are ‘Hudugigagi’ (2003), ‘Saroja’ (2008), ‘Vanavarayan Vallavarayan’ (2014), and ‘Vizhithiru’ (2017). He started his production company ‘Capital Film Works’ on 7 January 2002. He has produced a few South Indian films, such as ‘Mazhai’ (2005), ‘Chennai 600028’ (2007), ‘Aaranya Kaandam’ (2011), and ‘Moone Moonu Varthai’ (2015).
He was accused of sexual assault in 2012 by the Indian actress Sona Heiden. She later withdrew her case and said in an interview,
I got what I wanted from SP Charan and therefore have chosen to withdraw my complaint. However, if Charan levels allegations against me in the future, I too will respond in kind.”
Charan’s take on the whole issue was,
I’m relieved and knew that she would withdraw the case. We tried explaining to her from day one that such issues would spoil our friendship. But she didn’t listen and once again, my friends spoke to her and advised her not to invite more trouble. Hence, the case is closed!”
Capital Film Works (CFW) India Private Limited, 75, Arcot Road, Saligramam, Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
- His full name is Sripathi Panditharadhyula Balsubrahmanyam Charan , and he is also known as S. P. B.
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet.
- His hobbies include cooking and gardening.
- He is often spotted drinking alcohol in parties.
- He is the childhood friend of the famous Tamil actor Ajith. In an interview, S. P. Charan talked about his childhood days, he said,
I was a very bad student. I could probably count the number of schools I didn’t attend in Chennai.“I was a shy mommy’s boy. But I was boisterous with friends.” I gave my parents a tough time, so they found a good Samaritan who agreed to keep me in the USA.”
- After completing his graduation from the USA, he returned to India in 1996. He talked about his first meeting with the ace Indian singer A. R. Rahman, he said,
On my first meeting with Rahman Sir, he said “You sound just like your father. You don’t have an accent.” To which I replied, “If I’d had this opportunity before I went to the USA, I would have had an accent. Because I was only listening to Michael Jackson and western music. But when I went there, I rediscovered legends like Ilaiyaraaja, Yesudas and SPB. I am heavily influenced by them…”
- In 1996, S. P. Charan and his friends, Venkat Prabhu and Premgi Amaren, set up a music band, ‘Next Generation.’ Later, Yugendran and Thaman joined the band.
- In 2010, he worked hard in the gym and changed his diet routine to lose excessive body weight.
- He has performed as a singer at many events across various countries.
- In 2011, he received Swarna Kamal at the 59th National Film Awards for his Tamil film ‘Aaranya Kaandam;’ as a producer.
- He has also appeared as an anchor in a Sri Lankan TV show, ‘Ilaya Gnanam.’
- He is an avid animal lover and has a pet dog.
- On 25 September 2020, his father, the legendary Indian singer S. P. Balasubrahmanyam, took his last breath; he died due to breathing difficulties. Post his father’s death there were rumours that,
MGM Healthcare Hospital had charged more than Rs 3 crore for the singer’s treatment and only released his mortal remains after a balance of Rs 1.85 crore was paid.”
Later, S. P. Charan posted a live video on Facebook in which he said,
I don’t know why people do this. How offensive and hurtful it will be for people associated with this issue? It is disheartening. It is not an SPB fan, because SPB (fan) would not do something like this. He was not someone who hurts others. He was someone who forgives. I forgive this person.”