Sakshi Tanwar is an Indian actress and television host. She is best known for playing the role of ‘Parvati Agarwal’ in the TV serial “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii.”
Sakshi Tanwar was born on Friday, 12 January 1973 (age 46 years; as in 2019) in Alwar, Rajasthan. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn.
She did her schooling from many Kendriya Vidyalayas across India; as her father was a CBI officer and got transferred frequently.
In 1990, she completed her pre-university course and worked as a sales trainee at Taj Palace, Delhi. She even worked at a clothing & accessory store, Khazana in Delhi. Sakshi graduated from New Delhi’s Lady Shri Ram College. She was the secretary and president of the dramatic society in her college days. After completing her graduation, she was preparing for the entrance tests to the administrative services and mass communications. Meanwhile, she auditioned for the role of host in the reality show “Albela Sur Mela.” Although Sakshi failed to clear the entrance examination, she did clear the audition.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Boyfriend
Sakshi Tanwar belongs to a Hindu Family. Her father, Rajendra Singh Tanwar, is a retired CBI officer. She has an elder brother, Rajeev Singh Tanwar and an elder sister, Seema Tanwar.
In 2015, Sakshi was rumoured to be in a relationship with her Bade Acche Lagte Hain co-star, Samir Kochhar.
She was also rumoured to have tied the knot with a businessman. However, the actress refuted all the rumours and said that she was single. In October 2018, she adopted a 9 months old baby girl and named her Dityaa.
Sakshi Tanwar made her television debut in 1996 by hosting the DD National’s reality show “Albela Sur Mela.” Next, she appeared in the TV serial “Dastoor.” Subsequently, she bagged the role of “Parvati Agarwal” in the TV serial “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii.” The show was a huge success and she became a household name by playing the role of Parvati. The serial ran for 8 long years.
Thereafter, she appeared in TV serials like “Kutumb,” “Devi,” “Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahin,” and “Balika Vadhu.” In 2011, she played the role of ‘Priya Ram Kapoor’ in Sony TV’s “Bade Achhe Lagte Hain.”
Sakshi has appeared as a narrator-cum-host in many television shows including “Main Naa Bhoolungi,” “Crime Patrol Season 2,” “Code Red,” and “Tyohaar Ki Thaali.”
She made her Bollywood debut in 2016 with the film “Dangal” in which she played the role of ‘Daya Kaur.’
Sakshi has featured in many feature films like “O re Manva,” “Saluun,” “Aatankwadi Uncle,” and “Bawra Mann.” She has also worked as a creative director with the Positive Thinkerz Production Company. Sakshi has appeared in web series like “Karrle Tu Bhi Mohabbat,” “The Final Call,” and “Mission Over Mars.”
- Sakshi made the headlines for secretly marrying a businessman. However, she denied it later.
- Her onscreen kiss with Ram Kapoor in Bade Achhe Lagte Hain shocked the audience.
- The television actress, Hina Khan, called Sakshi cross-eyed, while Hina was inside the house of Bigg Boss.
Awards & Honours
Awards won for the serial “Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii.”
- Indian Telly Award for “Best Actress in Lead Role” (2003)
- Kalakar Award for “Best Actress” (2004)
- Indian Television Academy Award for “ITA Milestone” (2010)
Awards won for the serial “Bade Achhe Lagte Hain.”
- Indian Television Academy Award for “Best Actress – Drama (Jury)” (2011)
- Big Star Entertainment Award for “Best Actress in a Lead Role- Television” (2011)
- 18th Lions Gold Award for “Best Actress in a Lead Role- Television” (2012)
- 11th Indian Telly Award for “Best Actress in a Lead Role- Jury” (2012)
- People’s Choice Awards India for “Best Drama Actress” (2012)
- 6th Boroplus Gold Award for “Best Actress Critics” (2013)
- Voted India Today’s No.1 Television’s Most Popular Onscreen Couple along with Ram Kapoor (2013)
- Featured in Top 5 most trustworthy celebrities in a survey conducted by Ormax Media (2013)
Sakshi gets paid around Rs. 80,000 for one episode.
Sakshi Tanwar owns a Volvo S90 Sedan.
- Food: Aloo Matar, Rajma Chawal
- Dessert: Kulhad Waali Gulab Jamun
- Films: Guide (1965), Sholay (1975)
- Travel Destination: Europe
- Her hobbies include cooking, reading and travelling.
- Sakshi follows a vegetarian diet.
- In 2012, she worked in the film “Mohalla Assi” opposite Sunny Deol, but the film never got released.
- Sakshi doesn’t like to keep a house help and likes doing her work on her own.
- She is well-known for her punctuality in the television industry.
- Sakshi has often appeared as a guest contestant on the game reality show “Kaun Banega Crorepati.”
- Sakshi shares a great bond with the film producer and film director, Ekta Kapoor.
- Initially, she wanted to be a software engineer.
- Sakshi’s first salary was RS. 900 per month, which she earned by working in a cloth and accessory store.
- Sakshi bought her mom a Yellow and Green cotton saree with her first salary. She even bought a few gifts for her other family members from it.
- During an interview, Sakshi shared that being the youngest person in her family, she was the most pampered one.
- Sakshi draws her inspiration from her mother.
- In an interview, Sakshi revealed that she had once faced rejection because of a pimple on her face. She said that during her initial days in the television industry, she had bagged an advertisement shoot for a big brand, but the makers rejected her when they saw a big pimple on her face.