Sunil Lahri is an Indian actor who is best known for portraying the role of “Lakshman” in Ramanand Sagar‘s epic television series, Ramayan.
Sunil Lahri was born on 9 January (the year is not known) in a middle-class family in Damoh, Madhya Pradesh. After spending most of his childhood in Damoh, his family shifted to Bhopal. Since his childhood, he was passionate about acting. He used to actively participate in his school’s extra-curricular activities.
Height (approx.): 5′ 9″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family & Caste
Parents & Siblings
Sunil Lahri’s father, Dr. Shikhar Chandra Lahri was a professor at a medical college in Madhya Pradesh who died in 2012. His mother’s name is Tara Lahri.
Sunil has a sister and two brothers – Shailendra Lahri and Shashendra Lahri.
Relationships, Wife & Children
Sunil Lahri got married twice. His first wife was Radha Sen, and the name of his second wife is Bharati Pathak.
Sunil Lahri doesn’t have an impressive career in films. His passion to work in films led him to move to Mumbai from Bhopal.
Sunil didn’t have to struggle for a long to get work in Mumbai, and in 1980, he made his debut in Khwaja Ahmed Abbas’s film, ‘The Naxalites;’ starring Mithun Chakraborty and Smita Patil in lead roles; however, the film was a disaster at the box office.
Thereafter, he appeared in the 1991 musical Baharon Ke Manzil.
When Sunil couldn’t get much success in films, he switched to the small screen where he earned the desired fame; especially by portraying the role of “Lakshman” in Ramanand Sagar‘s Ramayan.
Before Ramayan, he was seen in a number of teleserials, including Dada-Dadi Ki Kahaniya and Vikram Aur Betaal. After Ramayan, he got another popular TV series, Param Vir Chakra in 1990. In Param Vir Chakra, he appeared as Second Lieutenant Rama Raghoba Rane.
Actor: Tom Alter
Politician: Atal Bihari Vajpayee
- Reportedly, Sunil was not the first choice for Lakshman’s role in Ramayan, instead, Ramanand Sagar wanted the TV actor, Sanjay Jog, to portray Lakshman in Ramayan. However, Sanjay was not ready for Lakshman’s role and later he did the role of Bharat in Ramayan.
- Reportedly, Ramanand Sagar had auditioned nearly 150 actors for the role of Lakshman, and finally, it went to Sunil Lahri.
- In an interview, he revealed that initially, he wasn’t happy after doing the role of Lakshman in Ramayan. He said,
I was not very happy doing Ramayan because of Ramayan I lost lot’s of work in Bollywood films.. but today I’m proud of doing this epic. This is the only program which is being most viewed in the world, that’s what is mentioned in world record and created history. Whenever Indian cinema history will be written name of Ramayan will always b written with the golden words. The character of Lakshman which was played by me has impacted my life too n helped me building my life & relation with world… I am thankful to God for choosing me to play this role an audience for loving me & giving me status of unforgettable celebrity…. Most beautiful part of Ramayan epic is, it teaches human values that’s why this program is above all caste and religion & loved by everyone.”
- When Sunil Lahri’s father, Dr. Shikhar Chandra Lahri, died in 2012, Sunil donated his father’s body to the Forensic Department of J K Medical College in Bhopal. His father had written in his will for the same; ten years back to his death. In his will, he had mentioned that he wanted to donate his body to the medical college so that the students there can do more research on anatomy. Sunil says,
He had expressed this desire more than ten years ago and when he died recently we fulfilled his wish. Since my father belonged to the medical fraternity and was also a professor in a medical college so he realised the problems students face in the studies due to lack of availability of human anatomy for studies so he took this decision which has led to an impact several people in Bhopal has come forward and have expressed the desire to do so. Since my father was also in lot of social activities so he always thought of things for the common good.”
- Sunil has collaborated with his Ramayan co-star, Arun Govil, to open a production company.