Supriya Sule is an Indian politician from the NCP. She is the daughter of the veteran politician, Sharad Pawar. Sule is a 3-time Member of Parliament.
Supriya Sule was born on Monday, 30 June 1969 (age 50 years; as in 2019) in Poona, Maharashtra (present-day Pune). Her zodiac sign is Cancer. She did her schooling from the St. Columbus Scool in Pune. She pursued B.Sc. in Microbiology from the Jai Hind College in Mumbai, Maharashtra. She did her post-graduation in water pollution from the University of California, Berkeley. After completing her college studies, she stayed in Indonesia and Singapore before returning to Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Eye Colour: Black
Hair Colour: Black
Family, Caste & Husband
Supriya Sule is of Maratha Ethnicity, and she belongs to the Other Backwards Caste (OBC) (Note: According to the Gazette of India those who have surnames like ‘Powar’ or ‘Pawar’ but don’t belong to this community, should not be included in the aforementioned community). Her father, Sharad Pawar is a veteran politician and the founder of the NCP. Her mother’s name is Pratibha Pawar. Her cousin, Ajit Pawar is also a prominent Indian politician. She is married to Sudananda Sule. They have two children together, Revati Sule and Vijay Sule.
Supriya Sule was elected to the Rajya Sabha from Maharashtra for the first time in 2006. In 2009, she contested the General Elections from the Baramati Lok Sabha Constituency of Maharashtra and won by a vote margin of 3.36 lacs. On 10 June 2012, during the 12th foundation day of the NCP, she launched the “Rashtravadi Yuvati Congress” in Mumbai to provide young girls with a platform to join politics. In 2014 and 2019, she was re-elected to the Lok Sabha from the Baramati Lok Sabha Constituency of Maharashtra.
- In April 2010, when Sharad Pawar was the President of the BCCI, Supriya Sule, along with her husband and the Pawar family, was allegedly holding 16% equity in City Corporation, a company which had participated in the bidding of an IPL cricket team. Sule denied all charges and said that they have no connection to the IPL bidding. However, several news agencies showed proof that they have substantial connections and equity in the company, and there were many financial irregularities.
- On 13 September 2019, Sule was harassed by a cabbie in Central Mumbai’s Dadar terminus. Reportedly, a cabbie had entered her railway compartment and started offering her a taxi service. Even after refusing his services many times, the cabbie blocked her way, and upon realizing who she was, he forcibly started taking photographs with her.
- Pawar Bangla, Aamrai, Baramati, Maharashtra
Assets/Properties (as in 2019)
- Bank Deposits: 27.60 crores INR
- Jewellery: 1717.60 gm Gold worth 52.54 lacs INR; 6742.10 gm Silver worth 2.67 lacs INR; Diamonds worth 1.13 crores INR
- Agricultural Lands: worth 2.70 crores INR
- Non-Agricultural Lands: worth 1.03 crores INR
- Residential Buildings: 18.81 crores INR
Salary & Net Worth
- Salary: 1 lac + other allowances (as an MP)
- Net Worth: 140.88 crores INR (as in 2019)
- In 2006, after being elected to the Rajya Sabha, she started a state-level campaign against female foeticide. Her campaign involved padayatras, college events, competitions, and other such activities.
- In 2009, she contested the General Elections from the Baramati Lok Sabha Constituency. The Baramati constituency was originally Sharad Pawar’s stronghold. However, since 2009, Supriya has been contesting from Baramati, and she has been elected in 2009, 2014, and 2019.
- She often speaks on issues such as women empowerment, female foeticide, and the dowry system.
- She prefers eating at dhabas and street food joints rather than high-end restaurants.
- Anil Ambani’s wife Tina Ambani is one of Sule’s best friends.
- Sule has a dog named Luka. When she adopted the dog, she had posted a picture on social media with the caption- “With our new family member Luka Sule.”